Saturday, March 05, 2005

Starting Diane


.

This is the humble beginning of "Diane" from Melissa Leapman's Hot Knits. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere. The textured stitching is a 1x2 twisted rib along the border, sides and center panel. "Diane" is a kicky, shaped tank top with a v-neck.

My first thought was, "what a pain". For twisted stitches, you have to knit into the back loop. Actually this has turned out to be engrossing in a good, almost meditative, way. When I knit in stockinette, I become impatient and I just can't seem to finish the project fast enough. Cables are different - I enjoy being preoccupied by the breaks in the pattern. These twisted rib panels are similar.

I've been told that knitting is good exercise for the mind and I truly believe that. Knitting, reading, doing crossword puzzles, learning in general all help to keep us sharp, focused and aware of what's going on around us.

No comments: