Friday, February 17, 2006

New Knitting Store in the Sierra Foothills

For those of you who live in and around the Sierra foothills region, I found a new yarn store!

The store is tiny but they have plans for expansion. It's so cute painted off-white with antique-style decor, colorful bags and scarves hanging from the ceiling. Their selection is small right now but they are ordering lots as we speak. I noticed they carry more Karabella and Classic Elite yarns than I've seen at the other LYS plus a decent collection of Cascade. In fact, it's the first place I've seen that carries Madil (Italian-made) which I quite like but have only been able to find online.

I also appreciated the fact that they have crochet samples as well as knitted sweaters and scarves.

And the knitting bags! So many! They have a line from a local seamstress too which was nice. Quilted bags, funky fabrics, Lantern Moon.

Store owners are Donna and Debbie who were both there along with Debbie's daughter Casey to welcome me. I stayed for a while and chatted. They even asked *me* to teach a beginner's knitting class (I was wearing one of my knitted cardigans). I chuckled at the thought but was flattered.

Sierra Knitting Company is located in Shingle Springs off Highway 50 East towards South Lake Tahoe. When you drive along this strip of Hwy 50, you'll see what looks to be old western style storefronts (right next to a Starbucks and Food-for-Less, the irony). The store is next to the Mission Rogelio Mexican Restaurant. The address is 3300 Coach Lane Ste A3, Shingle Springs, CA 95682.

No comments: