Thursday, September 15, 2005

Knitting and Blogging on the Road....

....are more challenging than you might think. I try to keep my knitting accoutrements to a minimum when I travel but sometimes that means I don't have something I need. The other night while I was working on the Tivoli, I came to the part where I'm supposed to cast on stitches for the armhole. I've cast-on in the middle of projects before, but for some reason I totally blanked out on this. I wanted one of my reference books to double-check and I didn't have it with me! Hate that. It was a total brain fry. I had to put the knitting away.

Then there is the small matter of making sure, wherever you are, that you have network connectivity. The next best thing to having a knitting reference book on you is to have access to the Internet to look up what you are forgetting. Not having Internet access is REALLY FRUSTRATING, especially when you are supposedly a techie person who can figure this out. Networks, though, are not my forte. I was very mad on Tuesday morning because, after I got the wireless to work at the hotel on Monday, it didn't work on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or today. Crappy thing!

This means I am blogging at work where I am hardwired. It's almost like a shot of morphine....ahhhhh, Internet, ahhhhh.

Well, the business trip is almost over. It's been hectic because we packed a lot in a few days. Not to mention always eating out - this takes up time. If I were by myself I'd just have a sandwich or a bagel but on this trip I've had full meals every night.

FYI, on the knitting and planes. I've been taking bamboo needles with me and no one has given me a problem. *knock on wood* I've flown on Southwest, America West and American Airlines this year and so far it's been easy. Have any of you had issues with flying and taking your knitting?

All right, better get back to work. Until the next day in the life....

3 comments:

Agnes said...

So you've been out of town again! Busy career, indeed. Any time to take interesting pictures on the road this time?

Ruth said...

i'm worried about bringing my boye or addis needles on the plane. especially if they are circs (and most of them are). maybe bamboo looks less threatening? as a safe alternative, i have some plastic (cheap, i know) crochet needles and i was going to teach myself to crochet on the plane. i wonder if they are more strict on international flights?

Ruth said...

p.s. i know what you mean by not having internet access. when i'm in asia, we'll be scrounging around trying to find all the cheapest internet cafes. =P