Friday, August 12, 2005

Figure 8 Cast-On

As promised, here are pictures of the Figure 8 Cast-on using Magic Loop. Something new and different as I continue my sock journey. This cast on, unlike provisional, does not require using waste yarn. For whatever reason I wanted to avoid that. Plus it seemed like one of the harder things to do so I couldn't resist the challenge.

You start by weaving the yarn left to right (1) through the needle tips, (2) up, behind and over the top needle, (3) down and between the needles and finally (4) behind, underneath and over the bottom needle. Repeat for as many stitches as you need on the top needle. End with the working yarn between the needles. In this example there are 8 stitches (the stitches are stretched out for clarity).


After several attempts I found that tightening up the stitches before you knit them prevents the "open toe" look. This may not work for everyone; in fact the pattern I'm using says to not worry about the loose stitches until you've knit a few rows. I'd rather take care of them in the beginning, though, so I tugged the yarn ends until I had a comfortable tension.

Now for Magic Loop, you'll need to pull the bottom needle through...







...and then knit the stitches on the top needle through the back loop. Notice that the stitches will be twisted. Also, make sure that you anchor the last stitch on the end closest to your left hand. Do not let the yarn end slip through the needles when you knit the last stitch.



When you're done with the top row, slide the needles such that they are in the home position again and turn the needles over. This means the row you just worked is on the bottom and so is the working yarn.




Pull the bottom needle out to a comfortable length...







...and knit the stitches on the top needle through the front loop. Note that the stitches are again twisted.







When you're done, the top of the toe looks like this with the stitches twisted and closed.







The toe after knitting 6 rounds.










It's been a good Friday. Some of you may have seen this yarn before, but Caitlyn's de-stashing is my good fortune - Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb in Iris Garden. sigh I so love pink and lavender these days. This yarn is heavenly soft with a beautiful sheen. I don't have any plans for it yet; I just want to pet it.


I want to sign off by saying thank you for all your sympathy, suggestions and encouragement while I figure out how to move along the path that life seems to be taking me. I will be following up with some of you, if you don't mind. I feel very lucky indeed.

Oh, actually one more thing! Caitlyn and I have postponed the Tivoli T-Shirt KAL because Grumperina is currently working on standardizing the pattern to include more sizes. She plans to have the new pattern available at the end of month and I hope that will persuade you to join in the KAL.

Until the next day in the life....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynette,
long time not talk. Just one piece of advise. FOllow your heart.
still running here, but the heat is wearing me out.Need to update the blog, took son down to college, really miss him, moping around this weekend. Your explanation of the cast on is great. looks quite interesting :-) take care.

Kim said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this. Exactly what I was looking for, and now these ebil mittens will bow to me... Bwahahahaha....

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Unknown said...

You are a knitting goddess...I feel the same way I did 35 years ago when I bought a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting without Tears"and stayed up all night knitting...
Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

After having spent way too much money on yarn for a present for my nephew I was beginning to fear I would never be able to get the technique down to actually make his present. Thank you thank you thank you for your wonderful clear explanation!