Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Year - Let the Simplifying Begin

That's my resolution. SIMPLIFY. I was going to write about something else, something sentimental and drippy but I just don't feel that way right now.

2007 started with waiting. Waiting for people to get out of my way so I could start destashing everything - yarn, knitting bags, sheets, towels, clothes, shoes, STUFF.

I have waaayyy too many things. Does anyone need more? Because I can give it to you. I am overwhelmed with stuff.

I am at home in a sea of untidiness. If you know me at all, you would know that mess drives me crazy. And mess is what I have after the holidays - 7 adults, 1 baby and 2 cats resided together for 10 days. The tree and trimmings are still up. Boxes and tissue paper need to be recycled. Laundry everywhere. Dishes to be washed. I am paralyzed trying to decide what to do first. And second. Then third.

Here's where SIMPLIFY comes in. An hour ago I found myself removing all the sheet sets I don't want. And the towels that don't match or are faded. I am eyeing my study ruthlessly (Karl is out on an errand). And my yarn stash - boy, there's too much. I just need to give stuff away and not bother with selling. If you are reading this blog then you are in for a special deal. Take a look at destash photos. Except for the knitting bags, let me know if you want anything and I will give it to you. You just pay for shipping (or if you're local, I can meet you somewhere). Honest. You can have it for you, for a charity, whatever (Ruth and Rebekah, are you reading this?)

So what am I doing posting to my blog then, when I have so much to do? I had to tell *somebody*. I had to take a deep breath, have a glass of wine and a relax a little because I was just feeling so damn overwhelmed.

The sentimental post along with photos of FOs and a particularly nice knitting gift will come later. At this moment, I commend you for reading this really rambling post and thank you for your patience.


BTW. Karalyn says hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. She did. She started crawling and standing over the holidays.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom always tells me when I'm overwhelmed pick one little corner and start with that. It does help, but sometimes it's hard to figure out which corner to pick first.

I'm going to systematically go through my entire house this year and get rid of all my extra stuff. We too have so much and I don't even have a baby to blame it on.

Oh by the way, your picture won't come up. I was going to look and see, since I do want to knit chemo caps for charity this year while I walk at lunch.

And oh my goodness! Could she be any cuter, I think not!

Anonymous said...

First of all, those knitpicks bags aren't available anymore? If so, let me know ASAP. =)

Second, I ditto what Stephanie said about the dishes. Flylady's first rule: a clean kitchen sink. I even get the Comet out to make the sink sparkle. Once that's done and over with, I feel so much better. Even if the house is still in shambles.

Third - oh goodness, Karalyn is getting so big!!! She's adorable! =D

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you survived the holidays... barely! :) Seems like simplifying is the theme of 2007 - I've had the same thoughts of "too much stuff" lately. Suffice it to say, I won't be taking any of your yarn.

Good luck getting things back in order. Hopefully it won't require too much time and energy!

Agnes said...

I think I am the last one to need more yarns! But there would always be happy recipients for beautiful things.
Babies really grow fast! It felt just like yesterday when I saw her fist photo ... and now she is starting to crawl and stand ... walking won't be far then.

Anonymous said...

Ah! The cheeks! So cute. I need to pinch them.

I feel the same way you do about stuff. I'm in a huge organizing mode and I was just saying to Sean last night that I needed to get rid of a lot of yarn, and organize every closet and drawer in the house. I think January just does that to people.

I also want to stop knitting my shapeless sweater and knit with that beautiful Koigu Kersti! (I swatched it last night.) What did you have in mind when you bought it?

Jen Da Purse Ho said...

i'm going through what you are going through with trying to simplify. it's so difficult! it's nice when you have people supporting the clean up effort. :)

your baby is Huge now! and SO SO SO SO CUTE!! :)

AJ said...

Well doesn't time fly by? She's standing and crawling? OMG! My baby will be doing that eventually and I know the time I have with her now will be so easily forgotten! Glad to see that you are *trying* to get organized and simplify! Good luck! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie! Good luck with the clutter. I'm a clutterer and it drives me batty. The one thing that does help (a tip from a friend) is to set the kitchen timer for 10 minutes and pick up until it goes off. It's stupid and silly but it works. I usually end up setting it for another 10 minutes because I'm on a roll.
good luck! ;)

Birdsong said...

We must have been on the same wavelength; we spent New Year's Day working on the clutter and I hauled a back-of-Jeep's worth of bags to the hospice thrift store. Did you find a home for the Austermann Acapella? I would use it for a healing shawl. I just love that beautiful baby grrl photo.

Anonymous said...

Karaln is just sooo beautiful. Christmas is such fun when you have little people to share it with.

I am doing a similar cleanout, but am somehow avoiding my stash. I know I should attack it too